Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hawaii Arrival

So, this is Waimea! I've been here a few days and absolutely am enthralled. During a bike ride this afternoon I was passing through the countryside with rolling hils and all the cows, having a conversation aloud with me, myself, and Matt. One bit was about how amazing it is, from Hungary to Hawaii. Inexplicable really! I am so thankful!

I think the words that are best suited, at least considering the beautiful surround, are "expansive" and "dramatic." We're situated here at 2,500 feet, in a sort of hamlet nestled against the hills/mountains. One mile east of town it's misty but still warm, so even though you get damp you are more refreshed than uncomfortable. Head less than a mile west of town and it's desert. High desert though, much like the paramo in the mountains of Ecuador, but also barren much like the dry altiplano of Peru and Bolivia. Wide open space. Looming large is the nearly 14,000' peak of Mauna Kea. Its grand presence also reminds me of Ecuador's majestic volcanoes and how they just jet out and up.

As for school...let's just say, I am impressed! The people I have met so far are exceptional. Obviously there is an easy going-ness but also people seem weathered in a positive way and both wise and professional. I've felt the exceptional "Aloha Welcome." I consider myself moved in already, and can honestly say this feels like "home."

For entertainment's sake and seeing that at this point I haven't passed along my blog address to anyone, so comments aren't possible (YET!), I want to paste a little blurb I received from good friends back in Georgia. Kristen and Rolando are rather keen on my following the Piercy way of "all or nothing" and jumping right in, rather than slowly testing the waters. I guess it could be the Jeff Piercy motto of, "if one works, but two is better, gimme' 30!" (ie. pancakes breakfasts, "Donut Time, donut time..." or even bolstering/securing decking with 200,000 nails or even better yet, screws!) Well, here's the email I received pointing at such humor.

"We heard from Adri last night that you arrived safely & did an “extreme Matt” by unpacking everything, going to the beach & getting a Costco membership all in one day. Don’t forget to buy two cases of toilet paper and 5 cases of bananas! We thought for sure that you would have gone directly off the highway for a fruit harvest – perhaps today!"

She did hear right, "extreme Matt" did have a pretty full first day. Alright, so in a wrap, that's it. All is mighty fine as I move tomorrow into what is officially our first "formal" day of orientation. It looks to be tough seeing that the afternoon is going to be spent at a beach BBQ. If someone's gotta do it, I volunteer!